Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Monday, August 17

Indeed, the gap is closing. Now I have done five workouts with six off days. It is pretty amazing how quickly I can lose some of the gains made in a week of training. As I do my calf raises, my legs feel the combined effects of a week off of leg exercises and a strenuous stretch at yoga yesterday. As I do my "rim touches" against a beam at my local 24 Hour Fitness (nice product placement, eh?), I feel dizzy and can't seem to jump straight up. Small victories, though, rule the day. I finish the workout, do all my exercises, and am hyped to even up the tally at 6 and 6 tomorrow.....
The key is to avoid the mentality that has weighed me down at times, which says that if my level of success goes down, I often become very hesitant to continue with the sport or workout until my level is visually appealing to the masses. You know, the masses that watch 3-on-3 halfcourt games at the local schoolyard.
As one can safely assume, it is hard to improve on anything when you do not practice it. Exhibit A: My disbelief over my staggeringly-worsening golf game, which may be in some way connected to only playing about five rounds in the last five years.

3 comments:

  1. This is great! Very inspiring. As a 35 year old, 5'10", fit white guy, I've always wondered if I could dunk if I really applied myself.

    I will be following closely.

    I'd love a post about your 'program' and how you decided on it. Also, have you considered those special shoes with the elevated toes to improve your vertical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great stuff--I totally relate to where you are/have been. I took summer school in college one year, and having nothing to do for large parts of the day a buddy and I started doing a plyometric routine every afternoon. I'm only 5'7", so dunking has been out of the question for me my entire life--didn't mean I didn't want to jump higher, though.

    There was a building next to where we'd do our workouts that had a piece of 18" wide black metal trim wrapping an overhang. We discovered that if you smacked you hand against when jumping, a grease print of your hand would remain on the trim clearly showing how high you reached. So we did this at the beginning and measured, and I came in at 8'10" or 11" (just under 9' is what I remember). We did the test again three or four weeks later and I came in at 6+ inches higher (don't remember the precise height now, but I do know that it was more than 6 in. in gains). Sadly, in the years since that summer I have discovered that my vertical has gone back down to what it once was. After reading your blog, though, I must admit that it does get the competitive juices going again--can it be done? Even for me?

    Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I justed wanted to encourage you in your quest. I still play regularly at 34, but I am 5-6 inches away from successfully dunking. The other night, I had a dream that that gap had miraculously shrunk to nothing, and I was able to dunk with ease and increasing confidence.

    It was, without hyperbole, one of the best dreams I've ever had. I smiled all day.

    ReplyDelete